Secretary Pritzker has made skills and workforce development a top priority for the Department of Commerce, and is working with the private sector and government leaders at all levels as part of the ‘Skills for Business’ initiative to prepare workers with the training needed to secure the 21st century jobs business leaders are seeking to fill.
At today’s event, it was announced that AspenWSI has published a website with information about the initiative here. Their national selection committee will competitively select six teams from different regions. AspenWSI will document the strategies and lessons learned from these six original teams and provide new learning tools and case studies that can help communities and regions across the nation develop their talent pipelines to fill in-demand jobs.
AspenWSI was selected from among a dozen other applicants to partner with Commerce because of its proven track record and innovative work with workforce and leadership development.
About the U.S. Economic Development Administration (www.eda.gov)
The mission of the U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA) is to lead the federal economic development agenda by promoting competitiveness and preparing the nation’s regions for growth and success in the worldwide economy. An agency within the U.S. Department of Commerce, EDA makes investments in economically distressed communities in order to create jobs for U.S. workers, promote American innovation, and accelerate long-term sustainable economic growth.
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners. www.aspeninstitute.org
Key Facts for Prospective Applicants
- National Webinar for Prospective Applicants: May 13, 2015, 2:00-3:30 p.m. EDT. To watch the recording click here.
- Requests to Participate Due Date: June 5, 2015, by 5:00 p.m. EDT
- Selection Announcement: July 13, 2015
- Opening Learning Exchange Retreat: September 14-16, 2015, at The Aspen Institute’s Wye River conference center near Baltimore, MD
- Resources: Travel and lodging for 3-4 registered members of each selected regional collaborative to participate in two learning exchange retreats, ongoing strategic coaching, and access to a pool of customized technical assistance services
- Period of Performance: July 2015 to September 2016
- Contact for Questions: Bill Browning, AspenWSI, at Bill.Browning@Aspeninst.org